Saturday, November 21, 2009

"Just Reminiscing"

Lately, I've been thinking about my early life as a Preacher's Kid. I thought I'd just share a bit of that with you.
My Dad was called into ministry in his 30's so off to Washington Bible College we went in Lanham, MD. I remember going to class with him and being 4 years old having other students enjoy literally "throwing me around". Dad went back home to West Virginia after college to become an associate pastor of our home church. So began my life as a PK. At about 9, I was told I needed to learn to play the piano because Dad needed someone to play piano for him as he went about doing ministry in the area. So early on in my piano learning years, I learned to play every song in the hymnal because "someone may want to call out a special to sing and I need to know how to play it" Since I am not gifted with playing by ear I did have to work hard to learn how to read that music. Especially, the shape note music books :( Anyway, I remember going with Dad to provide music for him at the local Union Mission, and the Retirement home as well as the hours of practice for him personally while he rested at home.
Dad was also the Senior Adult ministry leader. These are my fondest memories since I had lost all my grandparents by the time I was 12. These godly folks became my adopted grandparents. I loved taking trips with them and spending time just listening to them tell stories and eating thier really good country cooking. Our family would go along on visits to families that were needing extra care and discipleship. Dad had a love to share Christ with people and he did it very relationally. Just recently, he told another story of helping a stranded person on the road and how he was able to lead them to Christ. My dad is not one to minister in a hurry and this use to bother some but Dad believed in taking time to talk with people and to hear their hurts and try the best he knew how to help them. My dad also taught me to love God's Word and to study his Word daily. Both my parents are faithful to read God's Word daily. They taught me to also love missions. I grew up in a church that supported many independent missionaries and this began my desire to be a missionary some day. God chose to allow me to serve in North America as a missionary but I still pray for opportunities to serve overseas someday with my family even if it is for a short mission trip. I thank God for the legacy of service I was taught as a child. I pray that I will be "on mission" each day as the Lord leads me each day. I pray my eyes will be open to opportunities to share Christ with others as I live and walk faithfully with Jesus each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment