Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Raising an ADHD teenager

Yesterday, I had a good morning with the Lord to which I was so thankful because by lunchtime I was once again talking to law enforcement about the not so good decisions of my ADHD teenager. In memory of Barbara Johnson, with Women of Faith ministries and Spatula Ministries, I peeled myself off the ceiling once again. There are days when I ask the Lord, tell me again why you gave this little blessing to me. Of course the blessing is now a 17 year old one. Who knew that raising a teenager would involve learning so many officers names and learning to navigate the court system. I mentioned Barbara Johnson above because in the last 4 years of our trials and testing, which seem to keep going as of yesterday, her humor in the midst of suffering is what has helped me through so many times when all I wanted to do was curl up and never get out of bed. God does have a sense of humor and we all need to keep one when it comes to raising teenagers.
One constant lesson God has taught me through these last years is that just like Israel sinned over and over so do we. We have to keep reminding our kids, loving them consistently, showing God's grace and mercy (because I have none left to offer some days) and bringing them back to him over and over. I've been told when that "frontal lobe" fully developes all will be better so all I can say today Lord is please heal that brain soon before I lose my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment