Monday, November 16, 2009

Why a study of I Peter?

The book of 1 Peter has been on my heart to study since the summer of 2005. My husband, only 40 at the time, was in recovery from a massive heart attack and triple bypass surgery. I still say it was Satan's second attempt to take out this man of God. One day, reading the word the Lord spoke so clearly to me that this book had so many treasures to study that could be used to encourage his people in the midst of suffering.
So why 4 years later, well, the Holy Spirit never really lets us get away from something that God speaks for us to do, does he. Every sermon preached and every time I would read the book of I Peter the Lord would say to me. Ann, you need to spend time studying this book.
The Lord has brought our family a long way in the last four years. We made a major ministry move to another state in this time. We went from homeschooling our children to placing them in the public school system. We had a child to run far from the Lord and now in the last month to give her life over to HIM. PRAISE THE NAME OF THE LORD!! God has brought us through many, many trials over the last 4 years and perhaps this is why he is saying now.
So without further ado. Lets see what I Peter has to say to us.

First I have to tell you ladies that as a student of Washington Bible College, 20 years ago. I was taught to study the word through inductive study techniques. In order to really dig into his word some tools can be used to help us fully understand the depths of God's Word.
Here are some titles of some works on my shelf that may be a help to you as ministry wives.
"Women's Evangelical Commentary, New Testament" by Dorothy Kelley Patterson and Rhonda Harrington Kelly
"The Bible Knowledge Commentary" I have the Old and the New Testatment on the shelf. These are written by Wolvoord and Zuck. We also have the "Holman Bible Dictionary."
We also have a Strongs Concordance also that is good to use. This helps you understand the Greek and Hebrew meanings of words.
Also, there are many websites available to study the word from today. One is www.biblegateway.com. Also a lot of our planters use www.blueletterbible.org. There are so many easy tools available on the web to use. Let's study the Word.



No comments:

Post a Comment